Monday, February 27, 2012

The 2% Rule - How to Succeed With Little Effort

My husband has this thing he calls "The 2% Rule."

It's not one of those rules that is quantitative, like Einstein's Law of Energy (you know, E=mc [squared]). In fact, he often compares it to peeing in dark pants. When practicing this law, no one notices it but you.

Application Development

But, the 2% rule can change your life.

Here's how it works (or at least this is his theory of how it works, so if you don't agree, I'll forward your comments to him): You have 168 hours in a week. If you calculate 2% of these hours, it comes out to a little more than 3 hours per week. According to his theory, if you invest this amount of time into your goal, it can make huge shifts in your life over time.

It looks something like this:

-If your goal is to lose weight, investing 3 hours per week exercising could be what it takes to shed some pounds.

-If your goal is to get into law school, then spending just 3 hours per week studying for the LSAT and preparing for the Application process could make or break your chances.

-If your goal is to organize your finances, then spend less than 30 minutes per day focusing on this one specific area of your life

-If your goal is to learn how to cook like Julia Child, just 3 hours per week in the kitchen could make the difference between you being domestically challenged or a kitchen goddess.

I was recently reminded of the 2% rule as my daughter sat at our dining room table working on her math homework. Her assignment was to do the odd number problems on page 202.

She struggled through most of them, and with relief, she closed the book and said, "I'm done."

This is when I sat down and explained the 2% rule. "Honey, why don't you try working on a few more problems so that you can get some extra practice. Sometimes, giving a little more effort and time (aka "The 2% rule) can be the difference between you understanding the material or not."

Of course, she protested, and I didn't push the subject. Our children need to learn their own lessons (that's another post). However, when she came home the next week with a less than stellar math grade, I brought up the rule again, and this time she was ready to listen.

Here's the thing with giving an extra 2%: it's so easy. Really. On a daily basis, it takes little effort compared to what it gives you over the course of your life. It's less than 30 minutes a day.

Yet, so many people are not willing to put forth just 2% more effort. They choose to watch TV instead of going to they gym. Or, they choose to go out with friends instead of working on the project that they really want to complete.

The 2% rule takes very little time. For example, I might run an extra five minutes on the treadmill or write thirty minutes instead of twenty-five. Living by this rule takes less than 30 minutes a day.

Athletes are great examples of what it's like to live by the rule. Even though my daughter was not interested in giving a little extra effort in her math homework, I am so impressed by her dedication to tennis. Almost every day of the week, she is on the court for at least two hours. (Note: this is more than 2 percent)

Recently, one of her friends commented that she wished she could play as good as Sarah. Yes, you might have guessed. I explained the 2% rule.

I'm convinced that successful people are products of persistence and dedication more than innate talent. It's the willingness to give a little more, go a little further, and play a little bigger.

Since my husband is the founder of "The 2% Rule" (well, at least in our home), then I must share his 2% story.

In college, he had a burning desire to go to medical school, even though his high school counselor thought he might be better fitted suited for a little less taxing course of study (like ceramics or something).

He didn't let that stop him.

So, in college, he studied...a lot. When all of his buddies were partying into the wee morning hours, he cut his nights short to read that day's lecture notes (2%). He skipped college games to head to the library (another 2%). He participated in extra credit projects (yes, another 2%).

Then, when it was time to apply to medical school, the odds were still not in his favor. Let's just say his MCAT score was ranked up there with my daughter's math test grade. Yet, he gave an extra 2%. He applied to more schools, developed relationships with the admission's offices, and didn't get discouraged when the rejection letters came in.

Alas, he was accepted into Indiana's School of Medicine.

His 2% effort has led to an amazing career with a residency at the Cleveland Clinic and a fellowship at Duke University. I don't tell you this to brag (well, yeah, maybe a little, only because I am super proud of him) I tell you this only because it was the 2% rule that led to his success, not a wealthy family or an association with the Alumni association.

It was PURE, consistent effort.

Over the course of his career, he has given an extra 2% to his work and his patients. As an anesthesiologist, it's quite common to check a chart, stick your head in the room and give a brief introduction and then move on to the next patient. But, not if you live by the 2% rule.

I have his patients tell me how thoughtful he is, how he takes the time to listen, and how he acts as if he really cares about them. When you break it down into time, this might be an extra minute with one patient, but the benefits are gigantic.

I must admit that I am benefiting from my husband's life of living by this rule. His consistency in showing up in his own life and giving a little bit more than most people would has allowed us to build a wonderful life together.

He inspires my daily to give just 2% more than I normally would. This may look like an extra blog post, going out of my way to offer help to a stranger or an extra mile on my run. This rule really does work.

There's something I must tell you about this rule, however. It isn't instant gratification. Nope. Not at all. When my daughter is all alone practicing her serves on the court, she does not have the audience there cheering her on. When I'm sitting in my office, developing a new tool or writing a new article, there's no pat on the back. When you are at thy gym doing your second set of squats, you can't see the fat disappearing from your thighs. Living by this rule requires trust and faith.

But, look around at where you've put your extra effort in life, and you will see that the 2% rule really does work.

The 2% Rule - How to Succeed With Little Effort

No comments:

Post a Comment